Saturday 27 August 2011

Southern Raven

I have watched brown birds fly south in the winter. I have seen trees turn grey with age and pale with cold. I have listened to the cry of innocence trapped. I have bred lies and sold them for meat. I have eaten words and fed my children silence. I have seen the world swallow green grass tall. I have sung the dawn-call loud and clear. I have heard my freedom’s death begin. I have known the anger of traitor’s laugh.

In the deep dark before morning when the shadows breathe cold, I have stood beneath the blackest branches of the hateful trees and smiled at the frosted path before me. I have tasted the blood beneath my skin and I will fear the rage that boils within. I have wept for the loss of knowledge and truth, knowledge and truth held ransom. I have shouted and screamed, raged and railed as the cold boughs twist in the ice-wind above. I have felt the rough collar bite my neck and I will feel the misery of forgotten sun.

I will listen again to the south-bird wings, I will trust the trees to grow green again. I will sell my words for the knowledge needed, I will feed my children the ransomed truth. I will weep for the freedom lost in time, I will forgive the traitor and heed his words. I will smile at the rage and watch it quiver, I will fight my blood for every beat. I will stand beneath the blackest branches of the hateful trees and watch the remembered sun singe the frost into oblivion. I will walk the path and sing the dawn.

I will wait and I will walk and I will sing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment